Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The scraps of the scraps

After cutting the strips for all of the squares of the 16 patch blanket I am in the process of making, I had left over... still more scraps! And, not to be wasteful, I decided to see what I could make out of them (This only temporarily de-railed my current scraps project, by like a day or so)

This is what I came up with...




And here it is finished...




It's finished size is 26"x18", the perfect size for a little doll! I think this will go very well with the Jessie Toy Story doll I got for my niece. My inspiration for this quilt was the little doll sized ticker tape quilt made by Amandajean. While I LOVE the colors she used, my niece's nursery colors were brown, cream, gray and orange. Also, I wanted it to match the alphabet quilt going to her future brother or sister.


For backing for this tiny quilt I used orange fleece. I stitched it on to the back, then cut strips about 2" wide and stitched them on to the front of the quilt like so...

I know this is not the most helpful pic, but the fleece on the right is the backing, and the fleece on the left is the piece I stitched on to the right side of the quilt top. This allowed me to turn the top piece of fleece over, and then top stitch the two pieces of fleece together.
Like so...







To finish off the edges, I trimmed the fleece to about 1" and cut fringe (around 1/4" wide). Not a traditional binding for a quilt, but I thought it was cute and playful, perfect for a little girl playing with her dolls. I decided not to "quilt" it, but instead tacked it with my sewing machine about every 4-6 inches.

Some machines have a stitch that is designed to sew on buttons that will let you tack layers of fabric together really easily. The machine I was using did not, so I did a zig-zag stitch set on 0 width and 0 length, and tied off my threads. All in all I think it turned out well, we'll see how it handles a wash. That's all for now!

Happy sewing,

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment